Sunday, January 14, 2007

Drop Shot by Harlan Coben

I read this book in a day and enjoyed it immensely. Here's my review:

Myron and Win are back at it again in the second book in the series. This time things are more difficult, there are secrets being kept and lives that were destroyed. Myron’s newest client Duane Richwood seems to be part of it somehow and Myron is determined to figure it out. But at the same time, Frank Ache is determined to not let anything be figured out. With the mob involved, Myron and Win really wonder what is going on. Win has the connections to help Myron out but will it be enough. Will things get figured out before Duane loses it since he is acting strange?

Harlan Coben is one of my all time favorite authors. This man has knack for not only throwing in sarcastic comments but being able to write a character such as Win also known as Windsor Horne Lockwood III. Win has quite the taste for violence and his own version of meditation. Coben’s writing style is one I love because I am never able to figure things out until he reveals it all. Now I don’t know if I am just that slow or what. But once all is told, I can see the little hints in the story that I missed before. It also helps that I have met him in person mind you it has been almost three years but that has helped my impression of him and his writing.

The only characters that I really liked in the book are Myron and Win. Those two make me laugh and I enjoy all the things that they do and come up with. It was nice to see Jessica, Myron’s ex girlfriend, but I have no idea how long that is going to last. The mob characters are very stereo typical but if they were not in the book somewhere I would be sad. They make the book move along or sometimes stop Myron so he has to think of other ways to get around them. There is no one I really relate in this book but then I do like that from time to time.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery as long as you don’t mind a little blood and violence. Myron and Win will have you laughing your head off these two are quite the pair. They are complete opposites but make the best of friends. I can’t wait to read the next one in the series entitled Fade Away, but make sure you read Deal Breaker first. I give this book a 4/5. I really enjoyed it and it was a quick read for me.

Now onto The Collectors by David Baldacci. It's a chunkster but not on my list since I didn't know when my hold on it would come through. I love libraries!

4 comments:

Kristie said...

I have always meant to read one of his books. As a matter of fact, I think I have at least one on the TBR shelf. I might just have to move it up closer to the front after reading your review!

Lover of Books said...

Well make sure first that it is not part of the Myron Bolitar series checking it on his website. :) Other than that you should be good to go. :) They are wonderful reads!

bookish lore said...

I've never heard of Coben before but, after reading your review I spotted Deal Breaker in my library and I'm definitely going to read it. :)

Lover of Books said...

I am a little biased since I have met him but the man is a genius. The series is good as well sa some of his standalones like Tell No One, No Second Chance, Gone for Good, Just One Look, and The Innocent. :) I have read No Second Chance, Just One Look and The Innocent and all were great!