Monday, May 07, 2007

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

Dana Clarke was looking forward to the arrival of her baby with her hubby Hugh. But when the baby is born, they are surprised by the baby’s complexion since it is darker than both Dana and Hugh. So Dana is determined to stifle the gossip that she had an affair by looking for the father she never knew. She is only hoping that she can do so in time before her husband might do something irrational.

Barbara Delinsky is a good author. I have read some of her other works and this one was certainly emotional. She really tackled the issues presented in the book very well. I found it to be all resolved or the majority of it anyways. The writing just flowed and I kept turning pages to find out what truly had happened.

Dana was a stubborn woman and held her ground. I truly appreciated her response to everything going on around her. I have not been in her particular situation but as a mom I could begin to imagine what it would be like to be accused of something that didn’t even happen. She took to her daughter Lizzie immediately and that was wonderful to see. Hugh had grown up in such a prominent family that he had to look at all sides even though it looked to Dana like he didn’t believe anything she was telling him. He frustrated me at times but then seeing that it all stemmed from his brother and father most of all helped me realize he was just trying to find answers for them. I didn’t think it was necessary to do so but then I guess I was never that privileged and never had to have unfounded worries.

This book was a wonderful read and I loved the knitting aspect to it as well. I look forward to reading more by this author. I give it a 4/5 because the story really told it self and the ending was a surprise for me. I love surprise endings! I recommend this book to anyone who wants a story with controversial subject matter.
360 pages/ Fiction

Now off to write another review and then to reading The Innocent Man by John Grisham. Then Gourdfellas by Maggie Bruce and then to two more romance novels. LOL

No comments: