Monday, April 21, 2008

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Clair and Helen Knightly have a complex mother/daughter relationship. Frustrated with looking after her mother, she ends up crossing a line she never thought possible. She kills her mother. She didn’t plan it but it takes care of an unconscious desire to be free of her. Over the next twenty-four hours, she must confront the freedom she never thought possible.

Ms. Sebold can write such haunting fiction. Her characters want freedom and do whatever it takes to obtain it. There is such power and emotion in each character. Ms. Sebold brings it out in a way that compels you to read on.

Helen had a rough life. She was doing her best to stay afloat. Reaching her limit, she didn’t know what to expect but she wanted change. Clair Knightly hated going outside. Worst of all was losing her husband. She did things to comfort herself while slowly losing her mind.

This book while well written had me questioning the character’s motives. I didn’t agree with all that Helen did but then I’ve never been in her situation. She just stopped thinking and reacted. This book did upset me but then life is never as simple as I would like it to be. This book does make you think. I found the ending too abrupt.


Alice Sebold/Adult Fiction/ Relationships/ 291 pages/ 3 out of 5

Back to a couple of review books and then hopefully get a few of my own. :)

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This definitely was a difficult book to read on many levels. I really admire the author for being so bold as to write a book like this and to do it so well. I do agree with you about the ending. In a way, I think it was a fitting ending, but it all happened so fast that I really wasn't quite sure what was happening. Great review!

Lover of Books said...

It was and am too glad that she did write this. Thanks!