Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Thursday Next works for the literary detection division of Special Operations. In England during the 1980’s, literature was stolen and false books were rampant. Now it seems an archenemy has come around and is determined to create some real problems. Characters are disappearing from books and when Jane is taken from the classic Bronte novel, Thursday has had quite enough. But can she put it all back together without affecting anything?

Mr. Fforde has created a fantastic world of intellect. It was rather smart to set it during 1985. There were times I shook my head but all in all, it was well done. The characters really stood out and I loved how they brought some of them out of the pages. I have not read Jane Eyre so I was bummed at the ending given away but oh well.

At first Thursday drove me bonkers. She is a sweetie but definitely fits in her job. She will risk her life to go after someone. But then that person was really elusive. With the help of her fellow special operatives, she hopes she can put things back where they belong. The one thing that plagues her is her time in the Crimea War and what the results were from that. Landen, her old beau, wants her to get over her fears and start life over. She thinks he is being ridiculous. Landen drove me bonkers because while I understood what happened I think he went about saying what he felt the wrong way. He only seemed to upset Thursday more.

This book was up and down. The book confused me towards the end with how it was written. I was starting to get a little upset. I do have the second one to read and I would like to see if it improves. The ending saved a lot of the book. Thursday has one quirky family but it was fun!

Jasper Fforde/ New Author/ Mystery/ 384 pages/ Literature/ 3 out of 5

Got two review books and then hopefully one from the stacks. :)

No comments: