Thursday, December 14, 2006

An Interesting Book

I just recently finished this book Controversy Creates Cash. Here is my review:


In my humble opinion, Eric Bischoff was pretty gutsy for writing this book. I learned a lot about wrestling and Bischoff’s time with all the different wrestling companies starting with AWA to WWE. He tried a lot of different ideas, worked with a lot of famous people, and should have given up on WCW long before he did. He even said that himself about WCW. Now having all that said, a lot of the problems with WCW were NOT his fault. The powers that be at Time Warner AOL were sticks in the mud and what WCW was doing didn’t fit their ideas of what they wanted to be or do. So one can only do their best in that type of situation. I was impressed with how humble Bischoff could be at times though sometimes he came off quite self-assured which is not always bad.

One thing that I found so amazing was how well grouped things were in the book. Now that was partially to the help of Jeremy Roberts. There was a lot of points to cover and I was pleased that Eric didn’t try to do it all on his own. I’m not saying he couldn’t have done it but having the help made it a better book and easier to follow. He never really ripped on anyone but he always gave his opinion and made sure to state it as such. The second thing I enjoyed was that even though it was his opinion he often said that the other person involved saw it differently and would tell it as such. He was sure not to say that they were wrong but that they just were at differences about it. That is not easy to do or admit and that just took a lot of guts! The final thing I enjoyed was all the unique stories he had to tell and how much he really did name drop. I loved hearing about Chris Benoit and Randy Savage. Some of the wrestlers I never knew about their hey day so that was nice to read. I got a good education about how things can run and go well as well as how things can run and not go well. That’s life! I didn’t really care for all the finger pointing but that is going to happen from time to time no matter what you do.

I loved how Eric told how he started in the business and up to present day. I didn’t know much about how things were run. The thing that was really nice is that he made sure to explain all the business terms. Since I know very little about that industry, it really helped me out with understanding the point he was getting across to most people who knew what he was talking about.

If you are a wrestling fan, I would say go check this book out from the library. I did that. Now having said that, the pictures alone in the book would make it worth owning. But I just don’t have the money to buy all the books I would like nor do I have the space. I learned a lot about wrestling and it opened my eyes a lot. This is a book that is worth reading if you are interested in this type of thing. If not, don’t worry you’re not missing much. I enjoyed it and maybe down the road some day I can buy it and own it myself. It was an eye opening experience and I won't soon forget it.

Now onto another Christmas book, Christmas on Conrad Street by Marcia Evanick.

No comments: